Thursday, January 19, 2012

Baptism Baby

        This is based on a true story. I wrote this a long time ago, and I just found it. It was for fun. I wrote this right after I read Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli. His sentences were crop sentences and that inspired me to do the same! I hope you like it!! Sorry the format's all messed up, I tried my best to fix it... but it didn't work...
It was my sister's baptism. I was three. She was 5 months.  I wasn't sure what this was. No one told me why. Church just wasn't for me. Never was. It seemed like a regular service to me. But instead we were in front of everyone. Lots of people. This was for me. Always was.
           I had my doll. He didn't have a real name. I called him Baby. Baby and me were bored. I swung him at my side. Back and forth, back and forth. An idea popped into my head. A good idea. A funny idea.
         I started swinging Baby, higher and higher. My arm started to hurt. When I couldn't feel it anymore I let go and watched Baby fly. He flew far. A long way. I started laughing. It was really funny. I saw others laughing too, but  more quietly. I skipped to Baby. My white dress twirled at my sides. I snatched Baby and ran back to my daddy. He was turning red. I looked at mama. She was holding Hailey. And still, all the eyes were on my baby sister. I started swinging Baby again. My arm was moving faster. I let go. My daddy started to pinch the back of my dress. Keeping me from getting Baby. He was all alone. I had to go get him. I started to pout and cry. But before any tears, he let go. I ran for Baby. He had a black smudge on his face. I wiped it off on my white dress.
I ran back to the stairs. People were laughing. Eyes were on me now. I like this. Baptisms are fun. I swung Baby a few more times. I ran back to the stairs again. People were leaving. People were still laughing.
          I looked up at my parents.
          "Sorry Pastor Rich." Said mama. Now she was red.
         "Your child is sure…full of energy." said Pastor Rich.
          Then he reached for Baby. He took him. I stomped my foot on the ground and pouted. Pastor Rich said some words I did not understand. Then he dipped Baby in the water. The man gave him back to me.
         All the black smudges were gone.

3 comments:

  1. What do you mean it didn't work?! This was such a good piece. I was captivated because of the crop sentences....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last paragraph. It seems sort of symbolic. Very cool peice

    ReplyDelete