Monday, November 26, 2012

Moth Trails


Author's Note: I wrote this on Halloween because an idea came to me, and it felt chilling--  just like Halloween. Hope you like it!

A moth trails cobwebs from its wings. They drape, lifeless and dead. And the moth flutters lightly, its movement  soundless. Although through the dark it is gone. Gone with the cobwebs and the wings. A hum of energy ignites over my head. But suddenly I hear something. Not wings. But footsteps. A sound  petty compared to the wings. And the death of night is still succumbing me into silence. I take a step forward. Following my breath which takes me further into the dark. Shapes play in front of me and lights flash in my eyes. Closing my eyes is lighter than my surrounding room. But then I also see the moth. I open my eyes and see nothing. I feel something though.

Closer.

Closer.

Why?

The moth is above me in the heat. I reach for it. Jumping, my feet hit the floor like bricks. And the footsteps increase. And again, they come closer.

I breathe through my mouth. I open it wide when I breathe. And then I leave it open. Eat the darkness is to make it go away. The energy draws closer and it draws in a trail. A trail like the cobwebs. A tingling sensation breathes down my neck and my back. My mouth is still open. I don't close it. And then I feel it.

Imagination?

Please?

Why?

And it is in my mouth. The moth of the night. I close. And feel it flutter to my insides. Deadly and sharp. As sharp as my knife in my hand. The cobwebs trail to my stomach. I smile. The knife now tingles in my hand. The footsteps come closer.

Knife?

Now?

Yes.

The pouring was warm and the moth was cold. I dig deeper into the depths. And the metal slices the energy.

Away.

Away.

Now!

I dig deeper! I have to, it penetrates the soul, deeper and further. That is what I want. The moth has died and the cobwebs spiral to the floor. The dark is lighter now. But I am closing my eyes I realize. They close and I fall. The pouring seems to be over. Over, over! And I smile.

Over.

Over.

Now.

The footsteps are gone. 

1 comment:

  1. That was really cool! I liked how you did the one word thing in between the paragraphs. I also liked how there was room to interpret it how you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete