Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Hyenas


Author's Note: This was a writing prompt piece that I wrote based off some symbolism. See if you can find the true hidden meaning... The prompt was the first sentence, written by Jeremy in Mrs. Reagles' 3rd hour class. I hope you like it! :)

         Mommy was disappointed when the owner told her about the Hyenas. He warned her that some maturing hyenas were being raised in this run-down area. But now, she doesn't mind. My Mommy is a kind woman, who is often misjudged by her appearance. The scar that grasps her face is a pitied sight for many, but not for the Hyenas. Their laughs are scorched with taunt, and evil. Their smiles are widened with cruelty and exaggeration. Their laughs hurt mommy. When we moved in, the Hyenas purposely dragged by, just to laugh at mommy's scar. I was there, watching helplessly. I never had to deal with Hyenas before, but Mommy said I would when school started. Mommy taught me that when Hyenas approach you, you look straight into their dead, black eyes and stand up taller, but not too much to size them up, because otherwise they'll take it as a threat and attack, following with their gut-wrenching laugh; and I don't want that at all. Their laughs make me want to cry, because it is just too appalling for me. But Mommy eventually started to accept their laughter. She just embraced it with ignorance, yet held firm with respect. That is why I respect her. She teaches me all these things about Hyenas, before it’s too late. I found out that my mom's brother was killed by the Hyenas. They just attacked him too much until he couldn't brace himself anymore; so he died. My mommy has gotten attacked as well, but she braced herself in time. Yet she still has that scar, not the scar on her face, but the scar on the inside. I don't want to have a scar at all. Maybe the Hyenas will just pass me by…

No comments:

Post a Comment