Saturday, March 24, 2012

Review of Bye-Bye Birdie

Conrad Birdie is the biggest rock & roll star/guitarist of the 1960's ever to be drafted. A hopeful song writer Albert is convinced he can make his fortune and marry his long-suffered girlfriend Rosie if he gets Conrad on the Ed Sullivan show to kiss a fan-girl goodbye. But Albert's clingy mother will do anything to break him up with Rosie. Kim (the chosen fan to kiss Conrad goodbye) and Hugo, the high school steadies, live in Sweet Apple, Ohio where most of the action takes place, including fainting girls, furious fathers/parents, and the new and improved Spanish Rose who finally finds herself and who she wants to be.
I believe that this musical was well-performed with enthusiastic actors/performers. The singing itself was pitchy, but the acting well made up for that. The set was fast and easy and looked realistic and well-layered. The instrumental was perfect in my opinion, at first I thought that it was a recording but it turned out to be the band in the background! I loved this play and wish to see more of their talent! I found myself enjoying and laughing at almost every bit of it, with my favorite character being Kim’s father. I wish that the ending however could have been longer and well-thought out. Instead it was rushed, and a tad confusing (although I know that it was the script and it was not their fault).

No comments:

Post a Comment