Monday, November 07, 2011

Uncle Shepsel's Point of View

       Uncle Shepsel, is very predictable. He can never find the silver lining and never will. Even before the ghetto, he was upset and depressed, thinking that everything in his life had gone wrong. His character seems to be getting worse and worse each day living in the ghetto... its guarded walls and diseases and deaths driving him into insanity. He himself is convinced that Jews are dirty and gross, even though he is one. He is even trying to learn how not to be a Jew, by reading a book over and over about another religion. I believe that he has developed a very low self-esteem (I mean who wouldn't? Especially when Flops and Nazis treat them like dirt... but he's still worse than most). That's why he's mean to Misha, Janina and Mr. Milogram. He reminds me of a bully. The same circumstance, but he's an adult. I think that because of his desperate need to become wanted and not a Jew,  that he'll do anything for anyone... even betray his own family.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry,if the first person thing is wrong... I didn't have enough time to change it......... and I still am not totally sure what first person is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the person you chose- Uncle Shepsel is defiantly one of the more interesting characters. Nice job. I disagree with one point of your response though, I don't think that Uncle Shepsel was actually that depressed and sad before the ghetto and I don't think he is now. I just think that he is crabby- he doesn't hate his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Shepsel. He is... a "special" character. But the thing is, he is a more major character, and his opinion is stated several times.

    ReplyDelete